BLINDED VETERANS ASSOCIATION
FLORIDA REGIONAL GROUP, INC.
CHARTER AND BY-LAWS
November 2, 2002
ARTICLE I Name and Duration:
1. The name of the Corporation, by which it shall be known, is and shall be the Florida Regional Group, Inc of the Blinded Veterans Association.
2. Its duration shall be perpetual, unless its Charter be withdrawn by the BVA National for good cause shown.
ARTICLE II Objectives:
1. The Objectives of the Regional Group shall be: To Promote the welfare of the Members and Associate Members of this Association, so that, not withstanding their disabilities, they may take their rightful place in the community with their fellows and work with them toward the creation of a peaceful world; To preserve and strengthen a spirit of comradeship among its Members and Associate Members, so that they may give mutual aid and assistance to one another; and to maintain and extend the institutions of American Freedom and to encourage loyalty to our Country's Laws and Constitution . The Regional Group will support national programs and initiate such programs and policies within the area of its jurisdiction, which may serve the attainment of the objectives stated.
2. The FRG is organized exclusively for charitable purposes under Section 501 (C) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. No part of the net earnings of this organization shall inure to the benefit of or be distributable to its Members, Associate Members, Trustees, Officers, or other private persons, except that the organization shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in the purpose clause thereof. No substantial part of the activities of the organization shall be the carrying on of propaganda or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the organization shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing of statements) of any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office. Not withstanding any other provision of this document , the organization shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on (A) by an organization exempt from Federal Income tax under Section 501 (C) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding sections of any future Federal Tax code,or (B) of an organization, contributions to which are deductible under Section 170 (C) (2) of the internal Revenue Code or corresponding Sections of any future Federal Tax Code.
ARTICLE III Organization:
1. The Florida Regional Group of the Blinded Veterans Association shall consist of all Members and Associate Members of the Association residing in the State of Florida.
2. The Florida Regional Group shall be composed of six (6) Director Districts, including the following Counties:
A. Northwestern District - Bay, Calhoun, Dixie, Escambia, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Lafayette, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Taylor, Wakulla, Walton, Washington.
B. Northeastern District - Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Clay, Columbia, Duval, Flagler, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Nassau, Putnam, St. Johns, Suwannee, Union.
C. Central Western District - Citrus, Hardee, Hernando, Hillsborough, Levy, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, and Polk.
D. Central Eastern District - BRevard, Indian River, Lake, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Sumpter, Volusia, Okeechobee, St. Lucy.
E. Southwestern District - Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Glades, Hendry, Highlands, Lee, Sarasota.
F. Southeastern District - Broward, Dade, Martin, Monroe, Palm Beach.
ARTICLE IV Powers:
1. The Corporation shall have the power to enter into contracts with other persons, firms, or corporations for raising money with which to carry on the charitable, rehabilitation, social, fraternal, and educational purposes of the Group.
2. It shall have power to receive gifts, legacies, and bequests directly from donors or from testatoris of estates and to manage any property, business, or enterprise , so received, and to dispose thereof by sale, barter, or exchange for property more suitable or convenient to the corporation.
3. Fund raising activities must receive required approval as indicated in the Blinded Veterans Association By Laws.
ARTICLE V Membership and Associate Membership:
1. Any Member or Associate Member in good standing of the Blinded Veterans Association National, with temporary or permanent residence in the State of Florida and not a Member or Associate Member of any other Chartered Regional Group, shall be eligible for Membership or Associate Membership in the Florida Regional Group.
2. The eligibility requirements for active Membership or Associate Membership will be those established in the appropriate Article of the Blinded Veterans Association By Laws.
3. Honorary Membership: Persons who have made outstanding contributions to the Florida Regional Group or to society, may be elected to Honorary Membership by a two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote of the Members and Associate Members in meeting assembled or by a 2/3 affirmative vote of the Board of Directors of the Florida Regional Group. Honorary Members will not pay dues and will not vote.
ARTICLE VI Officers and District Directors:
1. The Officers of the Florida Regional Group shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary-Treasurer, and six District Directors.
2. All Officers and District Directors shall be elected at the State Convention each year by a majority vote of the Members and Associate Members in attendance and will serve one year. Any Member or Associate Member, in good standing, may nominate or may be nominated. Nominations shall be made from the floor at the time of the elections. District Directors must reside within the District for which they are elected.
3. Installation of Officers and District Directors shall take place at the close of the Convention. The Oath of Office shall be administered as prescribed in the appropriate Article in the Blinded Veterans Association By Laws.
A. A vacancy in the position of President will be filled by the Vice President.
B. Vacancies in the position of Vice President, Secretary-Treasurer, or District Director may be filled by a nomination by the President with the approval of the Board of Directors.
C. In the event the position cannot be filled, it will remain vacant until the next State Convention.
ARTICLE VII Duties of Officers and District directors:
1. President - The Florida Regional Group President shall be the executive head of the Regional Group with the full power to enforce the provisions of the Charter, By Laws, Resolutions, and policies adopted by the Members and Associate Members or by the Board of Directors. He or she shall be Chairman of the Board of Directors and ex-officio member of all committees appointed by him or her or by any other authority. He or she shall appoint such committees as may be necessary for the successful operation of the Regional Group, retaining ex-officio membership on all such committees and may, in a proper case, and for failure to perform their duties, remove any member of such committee and appoint a successor. He or she shall co-sign with the Secretary-Treasurer all checks or vouchers dispersing the funds of the Regional Group.
2. Vice President - The Vice President shall, during the absence or disability of the President, have all the authority and shall perform all of the duties of the President until the disability of the President ceases to exist and shall perform such other duties as prescribed by the President. He or she shall be a member of the Board of Directors of the Florida Regional Group. In the event of the resignation or death of the President, the Vice President shall become President.
3. Secretary-Treasurer - The Secretary-Treasurer shall make recordings of the proceedings of all Business Meetings of the Members and Associate Members and of the Board of Directors. The Secretary-Treasurer shall be the custodian of all of the funds of the Regional Group. He or she shall keep accurate business records, showing financial transactions of the Regional Group. He or she shall deposit all of the funds received by him or her, in a bank designated by the Board of Directors. He or she shall sign, along with the President, all checks and vouchers dispersing funds of the Regional Group. He or she shall submit his or her records for the inspection of any Officer of the Regional Group or to any group of 5 Members or Associate Members demanding such inspection, at any reasonable time. He or she shall be a member of the Board of Directors. At the end of his or her term, he or she shall turn over all books and records to his or her successor.
4. Duties of the District Directors.
A. Be responsible for coordinating proposed legislation
And be prepared to explain said legislation to the veterans.
B. Be an information center for answering questions that veterans mite have about the Department of Veterans Affairs and or the Blinded Veterans Association.
C. Assist in setting up and coordinating the luncheons that may be held in their area.
D. Encourage all Blinded Veterans to join the BVA, and also to encourage them to attend the Sate Convention whereby their ideas and or complaints may be heard.
E. At least twice annually be prepared to give a report to the President on the current conditions of his or her District.
F. Attempt to establish social groups wherever practicable.
ARTICLE VIII Board of Directors:
1. The Board of Directors shall consist of ten (10) members as follows: President, Vice President, Secretary-Treasurer, six District Directors, and the Immediate Past President.
2. When the Members and Associate Members are not assembled in meeting, the supreme authority and policy making power shall be and is invested in the Board of Directors but the Board of Directors shall not have the power to over ride, veto, or annul laws, By Laws, regulations, or policies adopted by the Members and Associate Members in meeting assembled, but shall endeavor to the limit of its ability, to carry out the provisions of all laws, By Laws, regulations, or policies adopted by the Members and Associate Members in meeting assembled. Each and every Officer of the Regional Group shall be governed by and abide by all of the lawful directions of the Board of Directors.
3. Six (6) Members of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at any BoarD of Directors meeting.
4. Any Officer or Director may be removed from office or the office declared vacant in the event of death, disability, failure to perform the duties of the office, or misconduct involving moral turpitude. This will be accomplished by two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote of the Members and Associate Members of the Regional Group in meeting assembled, provided that written notice has been given to each Member and Associate Member of the Regional Group in good standing not less than thirty (30) days in advance of the convocation of the meeting for the purpose stated.
ARTICLE IX Discipline of Members and Associate Members
1. Any Member or Associate Member may be tried and if found guilty, may be publicly reprimanded, fined not more than $25, suspended from Membership or Associate Membership, or expelled from the Blinded Veterans Association, in a manner provided for in the appropriate Article of the Blinded Veterans Association By Laws and not otherwise.
2. The trial procedures to be followed will be that specified in the appropriate Article in the Blinded Veterans Association By Laws. Disciplinary action taken by the Blinded Veterans Association resulting in suspension or loss of Membership or Associate Membership in the Association shall constitute simultaneous suspension or loss of Membership or Associate Membership in the Florida Regional Group.
ARTICLE X Procedures for Amending By Laws:
1. These By Laws may be amended by the two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote of the Members and Associate Members of the Regional Group in meeting assembled, provided that written notice has been given to each Member and Associate Member of the Regional Group, in good standing, not less than thirty (30) days in advance of the convocation of the meeting for the purpose stated.
2. Anything not covered by these By Laws or the Blinded Veterans Association By Laws, shall be covered by Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised.
3. A copy of any Amendments to these By Laws shall be forwarded to the National Headquarters of the Blinded Veterans Association for review and approval before the next regular meeting of the Florida Regional Group.
ARTICLE XI Charter: The Blinded Veterans Association (BVA) was Chartered by the US Congress to be the advocate for Blinded Veterans and to represent all Blinded Veterans before all governmental entities. The Florida Regional Group was Chartered by the BVA to represent Blinded Veterans in Florida. In the event there is a conflict between these By Laws and the BVA National By Laws then the BVA National By Laws take precedence.
Article XII: Dissolution.
1. Upon the dissolution of the Organization, its assets shall be distributed to the blinded veterans Association (BVA), a Congressionally Chartered, Section 501 (C) (3) tax exempt, charitable organization receiving funds from the public, pursuant to the provisions of Section 8 of Article 14 (Regional groups) of the Amended By-Laws of the Blinded veterans Association.
2. In the event the BVA is no longer a Section 501 (C) (3) exempt organization, the assets shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of Section 501 (C) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code or corresponding Sections of any future Federal Tax code or shall be distributed to the Federal Government, or to the State or Local Government, for a public purpose. Any such assets not disposed of shall be disposed of by the Court of Common Pleas of the County in which the principal office of the organization is then located, exclusively for such purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said Court shall determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for such purposes.